First some facts about Seraflex jersey sewing thread:
- You can sew jersey, lingeriefabrics, lycra and other stretch fabrics with a straight stitch while keeping the elasticity. Up to 60%
- Very suitable as sewing thread for sportswear, outdoor, womensclothing, mens and childrensclothing and ofcourse underwear and lingerie
- No stretchstitch neccesary
- You will reduce the amount of sewing thread used up to 80% when using seraflex with a straight stitch
- With Seraflex as double stitch (or twin needle) you can replace the normal overlocking stitch
- Available in 72 colours
- You retain 60 to 80% of the stretch
- You can use seraflex for sideseams, hems, attaching cuff fabric and more
Seraflex – fantastic elastic sewing thread – Tips & Tricks
Sewing instructions for Seraflex elastic stretch sewing thread
Follow the points below for a fantastic elastic result
- Loossen top tension (approx. at 2)
- Adjust stitchlength to 3 to 3,5
- Hold the spool when threading the sewingmachine. The thread will easily come of the spool
- Make sure to have a low bobbin tension(under tension) Wind the bobbin by hand or bij machine without using the tension discs to feed it through
- Use it for the top and the bottom thread
- Stretch sewing machine needle of jersey needle of size 70 or 80
Estimated readingtime: 5 minutes
Answering your questions
You can choose a stretch sewing thread like seraflex and stitch straight while keeping the elasticity. When using universal sewingthread, be sure to use a polyester thread and use a stretch stitch or a zigzagstitch. Cotton thread can be used but be sure to choose one of quality made by a great supplier like Amann Group Mettler. With the silk finish cotton by Mettler you can even sew lingerie. (be sure to use a stretch stitch)
When using seraflex elastic sewing thread, use it at the top and bottom with looser tension than with universal thread. See our user manual. When sewing with an elastic underthread for a puckered effect use the elastic cord-like thread at the botton and wind it loosely by hand.
You can hem jersey with a twin needle or coverlockmachine. With a twin needle you will get two straight topstitches and a zigzag below. The coverlocker will make a nice coverlock stitch like you see in bought T-shirts. Or you could fuse your stretch hem with stretchfix hemtape of 3cm wide. This hemtape is stretchy and gives a nice taut endresult.
Stitching stretchfabric with a straight stitch is done with seraflex elastic sewing thread. Use a stretch or jersey needle. Read our manual for an optimal result
Use a sewingmachine neelde for stretch or jersey in size 70 or 80. Toptension looser, approx 2. Stitchlength 3 – 3,5. Wind bobbin loosely. Use it at the top and the bottom for an optimal result. Seams sewn with seraflex elastic sewing thread retain up to 6-% elasticity!
Seraflex is a fantastic elastic sewing thread suitable for jersey and stretch fabrics like stretch denim. Use it for womensclothing, mens- and childrensclothing of stretch fabrics. Outdoor, casula, sports and work attire. Also suitable for underwear and lingerie!